Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ixtab:Goddess of Suicide

In my days of research of creepy things, I have only once come across a Goddess of Suicide. There is a God or Goddess for everything else; sun, moon, love, war, life......you name it, some Being already took it. Shop elsewhere.  Even the Mayans took a Suicide Goddess.

Ixtab apparently preferred for people to sacrifice themselves by the way of hanging. She has been called "She of the Rope." She may also be a variant of the Moon Goddess, supposedly beautiful, or the skanky Deceit Goddess Ixtabay. Of course, in modern times, she would be associated with the Devil, or, in my opinion and perhaps more poetic, Satan's wife. 



Most cultures have always shunned suicide and some believe deities are actually man-made creations to prevent human beings from killing themselves when faced with the reality of their mortality. Apparently, the Mayans were different. This proves something I have been thinking about as of late; morality, and normalcy, are entirely subjective to the culture and the time in which one exists. Ancient Greeks used boys for toys and women for babies and I doubt the young boys were traumatized by their experiences because it was the norm. Now that it's not the norm, such boys would have repressed memories and scars for LIFE because of it not being the norm (and no, I do not think it should be the norm.)

So as far as the mental state of Mayans sacrificing themselves to Ixtab - I doubt most of them were psychologically damaged. At least not anymore than the religious martyrs of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. 

Erika Endsley

6 comments:

  1. It's obvious that you've really done your research here. This is very well written and informative :) But my main concern though is if you're ok. And I want you to always remember, you are not alone anymore :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but as usual, I am *not* suicidal. I research Suicidality. I also research the Criminally Insane but I'm not Criminally Insane.

      Delete
    2. I know you're not. I just wanted you to know that I'm always here for you in case you're ever not doing well :)

      Delete
  2. I'm doing fantastic like a basket.

    ReplyDelete