Sunday, July 7, 2013

Isolationist

I have a friend who calls me their isolationist writer. This is often said to contrast my being seemingly comfortable alone if not aggressively in pursuit of being alone to have input-output time, aka research and writing. I think the name is cute, maybe not as catchy as Textbook and Dizzy but cute. Anyway. 

My social life recently changed drastically, and then quickly changed drastically back in a dramatic way. This entire year since I've been back home from NYC has been a social rollercoaster. The fact that I tend to surround myself with thrill-seekers with low-average intelligence may have something to do with that. So I am back to spending tons of time by myself, which I don't mind. 
Because I like my input-output time. 

Outside influence on thought is actually a good thing - to have feedback from real, thinking, dynamic people, not just books. But I believe Western culture has emphasized Extroversion and community so much that people who are not getting their input from other humans are probably seeking it. It's not common practice to stop and think, to let clinical information in so that you can let it out all over again with your own human-ness attached to the information. 
So much more pure this way. 

People would do well to practice bouncing ideas off themselves rather than seeking opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment